Saturday, April 25, 2015

ARTFUL JOURNEYS - WEEK #17

Gosh!  When we put our collective creative hats on, we can really drum up some craziness, and this week at Artful Journeys is no exception.

Our prompt this week:  CHANNEL PICASSO

Head of Woman With a Hat by Pablo Picasso
I actually love the works of Picasso. His quirky style, the ease with which his line drawings seemed to flow. The vibrant use of color. All things I love.

If you take a few minutes on Google and really LOOK at his collection of artwork, it is truly inspiring. No wonder he is a master!  But what do you think this guy was smoking or drinking?? Was he one of those zany artists that lived for his Absinthe, aka The Green Fairy?  Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen.  Maybe this can explain some of Picasso's work, since he was living in France during a time when Absinthe was all the rage with artists.  Did he smoke funny little cigarettes? Was he an alcoholic or just plain nutzoid?  Some of his work is realistic in nature, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Picasso definitely saw the world through a different set of lenses than most of us, but still his work endures, inspires and is emulated the world over.

While searching for some "inspiration" through his work, I came across this image entitled "Head of Woman With A Hat".  I loved the vibrant colors, the bold line work, the quirky-ness of the whole thing.  The basic shape was something I thought I might actually manage. The colors, well, I thought I might could emulate that as well.

 This really was an exercise for me.  I brought my journal to my desktop and studied the photograph and sketched a brief and quick little outline.  I took my journal to the dining room and purposely left the image so that I could just recall the "essence" of the painting from my mind.

When you look at Picasso's work, you think, that looks simple enough.  But in reality, it isn't.  The basic shape--easy.  Where to start?  Poised with paintbrush in hand, I started with the lightest colors, beginning with white and began adding paint to various areas of the image.  Mostly I used my Dylusions Blendable Acrylics in white, turquoise, lime, orange, pink, black and red.  Hmmmm....I thinks that's all the colors just about in that collection excepting purple and the royal blue.  LOL I painted my background with a cameo pink craft acrylic, lightly watered down for a smooth finish.

Picasso's stroke work in her hair is what mesmerized me.  They are strong and decisive.  I was a bit more timid or hesitant I think...not knowing exactly how to emulate this style.

So what I wound up with is this.  My version of a lady in a hat.  The whole image has a very ethnic feel to me when looking back at it, and she looks pretty stern.  Once completed, I got up and brought my journal back to my desk and looked at the images side by side.  Not bad.  Not great, of course, but a valiant effort considering I wasn't "copying" the work or even trying to replicate it. Just using it for inspiration.  This is wayyyyyyy out of my comfort zone, but overall, I'm fairly happy with the end result. Time to move on to something else.





So get out there, get your Picasso-groove on, and channel ole Pablo and see where your art mojo takes you.  Be sure and show us your efforts at Artful Journeys.  We'll be your biggest cheerleaders!

Stay artful!  Until next time.....

Betty aka Arty Auntie









2 comments: