Friday, November 27, 2015

Artful Journeys - Week #48 Prompt "Hang A Wreath"


This week at Artful Journeys, we asked our members to "Hang a Wreath" in their art journals.  As usual, I wanted to be a bit different and was not thinking about "Christmas" just yet, with Thanksgiving just being barely over.  Fall is still in full swing here in north Texas, and it won't officially be winter for a while, so I didn't want to rush anything.




My initial idea was to create a 'kaleidoscope' of color, and I began by creating a wheel of fall colors with acrylics in red, orange and yellows, banded in a wheel.  I had these wonderful fall looking silk (or polyester?) leaves that I thought would be perfect. So I took out my trusty compass, drew a big circle and began to layer the leaves.  I had just enough to do a double row.  But after they were applied, the kaleidoscope really wasn't all that visible. 

Initially, I had hand lettered the quote, but must have had a brain phart right at the end, because the word "enough" was not spaced out right and looked totally stupid.  Out came the gesso, more paint, more dabbing and brushing, and lots of use of the heat gun.



I decided to pull out some new-to-me lettering stamps I bought recently and stamped out the quote on some bristol paper, cut to size and affixed with Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. This stuff is the bomb!  Really sticky, dries fast and clear and is the best general purpose adhesive I have ever used!





This spread didn't seem to need much else because to me, it was already starting to look kind of fussy with all those leaves, so I just added some doodly framing around the quote and called it good.

Below are a few other things I have been working on the last week or so. It was so nice of you to stop by for a look, and as always, if you'd care to leave me a comment on anything I've posted here, it would be greatly appreciated!



Vintage newspaper collage spread
Vintage newspaper advertising

Dylusions Spray Inks with acrylics and Stencil Girl Stencil

Dylusions spray inks and Stencil Girl stencil

Dylusions spray ink, blending tool, mop up inks and Stencil Girl stencil

Acrylics, Art doll by Annmarie Killam, stencil

Just trying to add more and make it into something!

Planner pages in the Hobonichi or "Fauxbonichi" style





Grumpy Cat "You'd be angry too if you had to wear this ugly-assed collar all day!"

4x6 index card - Repeating Word, Doodles

Artist Trading Card Swap - Crazy Birds

Impromptu Art Challenge

Thanks again for stopping by!  Remember, keep it artful!

ARTY AUNTIE
~~Betty













1 comment: