Monday, July 14, 2014

Recycling for Art



I love turning nothing into something. Re-using, repurposing and recycling.  Junk mail cannot go into the trash until all words and images have been carefully scrutinized and perhaps clipped for future art or journaling projects.  The political fodder that fogged my mailbox until the elections was a bonanza of words and phrases, but I certainly am glad that is over for a while.  No box hits the bin unless it is just too small to organize my growing collection of art supplies.

This week's project involved leftover Pringle's cans.  I have a ton of long brushes and they just don't fit in some of my other containers very well.  Ditto with my collection of rulers, palette knives and long handled scissors.

After going from yummy-licious, to all-gone :-( -- a quick rinse out was in order and a few seconds with the heat gun to make sure it was good and dry on the inside and out.

Select some lovely 12x12 scrapbooking paper, giftwrap or painted papers of your liking!  Coat the outside of your can with glue, ModPodge or Acrylic Medium.  I just went with ModPodge since I have tons of the stuff.  I had pre-selected some favorite rooster paper, cut to size to fit within the "lip" of the can and rolled it on.  Smooth it out if you get any air bubbles, and voila!  A decorative, tall container.  Another piece of a landfill is saved.

Happy creating!
~~Betty


No comments:

Post a Comment