Thursday, May 8, 2014

iHanna's 2014 DIY Postcard Swap

This is my second year to participate in this fun swap that iHanna hosts every year, twice a year.  You make 10 postcards and get 10 postcards.  Everyone pays a nominal fee, but it is so worth it to see the creativity of people from all over the world.

My latest fun thing is using lace and crocheted doilies and my beloved Dylusions spray inks.  I've done envelopes large and small, greeting cards, ATC's, notecards, and of course, postcards.


 Here are all 10 of my cards that went forth into the world on May 2nd to California, Alaska, Mississippi, Florida, 2 to Australia, South Dakota, Sweden, Virginia, and Georgia.

 I have received two already and anxiously await receipt of my other eight.

Maybe the people who are receiving these will try this technique and have this same grand fun of seeing how they turn out.

Don't you just love "What-if?"



The technique is rather simple, but the effects are super striking don't you think?  

1.  Start with a nice weight watercolor paper. I used 300 pound cold press for these.

2.  For a "white" image, just lay your doilies, lace or crochet pieces on the paper.

3.  Select your paint & mist all over.  (I recommend you do this inside a box to prevent overspray everywhere!)

4.  For a multi-color effect, spritz a lighter color over the paper.  Then lay your doilies.  Now, pick a dark color like After Midnight or another dark color to contrast with the color(s) you already sprayed.  Mist all over again.

5.  Remove your doilies carefully and let dry.

6.  Seal with a light coating of hair spray so the ink won't smear or rub off. Then cut to your preferred size. These are all 4x6".

That's all there is to that.  Embellish further if so desired.

Enjoy all the pics, and thanks for stopping by to visit. 









11 comments:

  1. Thanks Betty, I wondered what i Hanna was

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out her blog or click the DIY Postcard link I posted over there -------> on the right. She will do another in the fall.

      Delete
  2. Betty!! These are so gorgeous!! Your recipients are very lucky to get one of these beauties in the mail! I must admit, I was a little disappointed that I didn't see NY as one of their destinations �� Truly stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I had more US mail this year than last. Domestic or International, I love sending it all out into the world!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty Betty. I do not have the ink sprays but may have to purchase or figure out home to make cheaply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naila, there are numerous tutorials on YouTube for making your own alcohol inks, and I believe I posted some written instructions and maybe some links on our FILES tab at Artful Mail Groupies.

      Delete
  4. Thanks dear auntie for joining again! :-) Love these postcards Betty, they are beautiful, esp. love the first and the last one. Yummy, thank for sharing them and adding the link to the link-up too! I hope you'll wanna play again with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will most definitely keep playing. Wouldn't miss it, Hanna. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I read this post earlier today and thought "maybe the Florida one is for me!" I came home this afternoon and found my second card of the swap which just happened to be one of your very fun cards. Woohoo! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it arrived and that you like it! You are only the 2nd person to acknowledge receipt of any of my cards, so thank you for taking the time to do so. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete